Blog Books Lifestyle

WEEKEND READS

Friday, March 06, 2015Unknown

I think I'm this book's no. 1 fan. Or maybe I'm Mindy Kaling's no. 1 fan. Probably both. After reading Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me? by Mindy Kaling, I knew that I had to feature this on the blog for a light and yet hilarious addition to the reading list.

For those familiar with US TV series The Office, she plays Kelly Kapoor, a somewhat shallow, celebrity crazed and self obsessed colleague whose one-liners almost make you believe that she's really that airheaded kind of character. In reality however, most people should know by now is that in her early 20s she started writing for The Office. Which for a recent graduate is pretty impressive. 

The book has equal portions of humour, advice and insipration so you'd hardly call it an autobiography. The reason why I couldn't stop reading it was because it is honestly one of the funniest books I've read. I feel connected to her when she adds pictures in the book of awkward childhood photos of herself, laughing at the awkwardness of growing up. But when she writes about the difficulty of making it big after university and living in a cockroach infested apartment in New York, and moreover the steady pace to success she achieved when landing a job working as a Producer for The Office. 

The real skill of a comedy writer comes from someone who can be both self deprecating in humour and also acknowledge that they're strong and confident individuals who can enjoy life and laugh at all the awkward parts of it. I found myself laughing so many times while reading this on the train. Mindy Kaling is so funny in this book that it almost sounds like you're having a conversation with a friend you haven't seen in years. 

Pick it up if you get the chance! It's a short read but I'm sure you'll be watching The Mindy Project, The Office and searching for thousands of memes across the internet for her.  

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Popular Posts

Join Us on Twitter

Contact Form